dee: January 2009 Archives
Janet Napolitano sounds like a good business manager. I have been a manager in business for over 30 years and she is taking some of the same steps I take when I go into a new assignment.
Yesterday, she issued a press release which said she gathered all of her department heads together and asked each department head to provide assessments about their current programs, including metrics of success, gaps in service/ resources, partnerships with state and local governments and other federal agencies as well as offer suggestions for reforms, restructuring, and consolidation where needed. Each department head is to provide a final report due February 20th.
When I have done this with teams, they bring back their results, we identify the top issues, then we set our goals for the year(s).
Ms. Napolitano has already stated her overarching goal: "As a nation of immigrants, we will manage America's borders in a way that furthers this heritage, promoting legal immigration and cross-border commerce, while upholding the rule of law."
If you further analyze this overrarching goal, you see she leads with, "nation of immigrants" and ends with "rule of law". When I studied various news reports, some of her famous immigration quotes include:
. You build a 50 foot wall, somebody will find a 51 foot ladder.
. Crackdown on employers who hire illegal workers, not workers.
So already, we know her focus. She is going to tackle employers and felonious criminals (e.g. drug cartels & gangs).
Now, let's look at her department heads' programs. She asked them to ANALYZE, REPORT and PROVIDE "What Worked and What Didn't Work" (and I love this part because this is what I always do).
I. The Criminal & Fugitive Aliens Program. The subgroups include:
A. The Secure Communities Program
B. The Institutional Removal Program
C. The Fugutive Operations Team
D. The Electronic Travel Document Program
E. The 287(g) Program
II. Legal Immigration Benefit Backlog
III. Southbound Gun Smuggling
IV. National Guard
V. Widows & Widowers of US Citizens
VI. Immigration Detention Facilities
Obviously Napolitano is going to find plenty that DID NOT WORK.
Tops on the list:
1) Arpaio's 287(g) policies didn't work. She has said for years that this program was meant to target felonious criminals (e.g. the Drug Lords, gangs, felonious criminals). It was NOT meant for Arpaio like "suppression sweeps" which targets and racial profiles Latino neighborhoods. Napolitano has a unique way of expressing her perspective: "jail model agreements versus task force model agreements."
2) Felonious Criminals: What didn't work was targetting the workers. What will work is getting your Task Forces to Target the Felonious Criminals, the gangs! the Drug Lords! Stop the Guns from going back into Mexico to the Cartels! Everyone will support you on this! Stop targetting the workers or little towns like Latino Guadalupe, AZ and the Confirmation Ceremonies. Tell the evil Sheriff Arpaio to STOP his masked posse from harassing little children and their moms.
3) Southbound Gun Smuggling: For Heaven's Sake, STOP The Gun Smuggling!! And STOP or put a halt to the Border City Drug Cartels and the Violence. Pull all the stops! WE Support You!!
4) Immigration Detention Centers: Close the Family Detention Centers! Period! The End! They do not work and they cost lots of money!
Now, I do not know if Janet Napolitano will succeed in her process improvement efforts, but I can tell you this. She has a very good approach for identifying and resolving the major issues. She is studying the issues and putting forth recommendations for improvements. Such lofty goals. This is the only path to process improvement!
Secretary Napolitano Issues Immigration and Border Security Action Directive
The ANTIs are fully aware their ability to stop this change would be like stopping a runaway train. Four years ago, officials had projected the shift would come in 2050. The main reason for the accelerating change is significantly higher birthrates among immigrants.
This is not a new prediction. John Tanton, self-proclaimed godfather of the ANTIs, made this proclamation in the 1970s, detailing this "threat" in the most racist of terms. He rallied his followers to put in place strategies to stop this prediction. He could not convince the government to help him so he formed several ANTI Immigration groups including FAIR, NumbersUSA, ProAmerica PAC, ProEnglish Group, You Dont Speak for Me and more. He and his teams developed politically correct talking points, created slanted reports and spoke before Congress to push their agenda. After 9/11, they capitalized on the wave of fear and paranoia encompassing the nation. They stepped up their rhetoric, bringing in local/national groups including the minutemen, AMShockJocks, politicians seeking election and various cable news networks. Their cause gained momentum after the 2006 Immigration marches. Perhaps their most significant accomplishment was gaining a group of well trained internet followers who badgered Congress with mass form letters, faxes, emails and phone calls. This small group of followers were masters at monopolizing the communication links into Congress and being at the beck and call of their leaders who drove their PC agenda.
The PRO Immigration Reformers were slow to enter the blogosphere. Even though millions marched, very few blogged. The ANTIs convinced the majority of Americans that the marchers were all "illegal aliens." It was not until 2007 that a significant number of PRO supporters entered the blogosphere. We are still trying to catch-up, but the massive increase of Pro Bloggers in 2008/2009 has been amazing. It has only been since 2008 that Pro Bloggers began joining forces to communicate our same message to all of our millions of supporters.
Now that we do have a significant presence on the internet, what is important for all PRO Immigration Reformers to remember is, we cannot be fooled by the ANTIs politically correct (PC) talking points. As I previously reported, the Heritage Foundation recently published their updated recommendations. While very PC, the devil is in the details. Their recommendations speak to the ANTI Core Agenda.
If the ANTI Immigration Reformers had their WISH, here is what they want:
1. Mass Deportation of the 12M people they term illegal aliens. Their plan is to make their lives so miserable, they will leave on their own or they will get caught up in ICE Raids/Detention Centers or Neighborhood Sweeps (ala Arpaio). They want these raids stepped up so they leave within the next 4 years. The problem is, the 287(g) sweeps lead to Racial Profiling (ala Arpaio) and all of this hate mongering has led to the increase in Hate Crimes against Latinos, as reported by the FBI. The ANTIs, however, could care less how all of this Racial Profiling or Hate Crimes impact the American Latinos and we already know they treat the workers like vermin.
2. Limit Future Immigration to only Educated Europeans. (see Heritage Foundation recommendations)
3. End Jus Soli - Birthright Citizenship (14th Ammendment), what they term, Anchor Babies.
4. Continue Guest Worker Programs but put some type of device on the workers so they can be monitored and told to leave when work is done. And take their babies with them. (read my biometric data blog)
5. ProEnglish legislation and Stop anyone from Speaking Spanish. (read my Pro English Violence blog, especially comments)
If they do get their wish, their Core Agenda will be realized. They will stop or at least delay the Census bureau's majority minority predictions. As you read through the comments of most articles about these issues, the ANTI core agenda becomes abundantly clear. If you analyze their core agenda, it is obvious, this is a racist agenda. Regardless of how they bluster and complaine about the racist term, once you discuss this with them, the racist core agenda becomes obvious. It is as clear as the "punch in the nose for speaking spanish" on your face.
For the PROs, our mission is clear. We need to stay involved, stay linked together, engage in discussion forums with ANTIs in newspaper comment sections across the country and communicate our message and our knowledge of their core agenda. We must stay civil, open and honest. Afterall, we do have Truth, Justice and the American Way on our side. We are evolving into a beautiful, multi-ethnic, multi-racial, multi-cultural society.
Now for my opinion about PRO actionable items for this year. Our President has a lot on his plate. He has to deal with the Economy, the War and getting his Administration in order. Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR) is the elephant in the room. There are far too many well trained ANTI fighters for us to expect to obtain CIR this year. But there are three things we can ask for and our President can provide this year.
1. Stop/Reduce ALL Hate Crimes: Ask President Obama to state he is against All Hate Crimes. Acknowledge the increase in Hate Crimes particularly against Latinos (as the FBI reported), Blacks and Lesbian/Gays. These groups have the highest incidents of occurence. Ask for his public repudiation of Hate Crimes and Ask for his support in ensuring those guilty of these crimes are charged to the fullest extent of the law. This includes the Hate Crimes committed in Patchogue, NY and Pottsville, PA.
2. Stop/Reduce Racial Profiling: All Racial Profiling is wrong. We have seen a significant amount of racial profiling occur in Maricopa County by Sheriff Arpaio under the 287(g) provisions. Several Mayors in Arizona, including the Mayors of Phoenix, Mesa and Guadalupe have written Federal Authorities and requested an investigation. We should ask President Obama to put a hault to the 287(g) provisions and ask Eric Holder to conduct a Federal Investigation on the Mayors charges.
3. Stop the Inhumane Treatment occurring in ICE Raids and Detention Centers: Postville, with their CattleBarn injustice, was a prime example of what can go wrong during an ICE Raid. Ask President Obama to put a halt to these inhumane raids. Additionally ask President Obama to investigate the inhumane treatment in Detention Centers, particularly the Hutto Family Detention center where entires families are jailed.
Each of these three items are Humane, they can be completed without legislation and they can be accomplished this year. If he does them, this will serve as a significant message to all of his Latino and Humanitarian supporters that he supports our message and his Latino supporters.
God Bless America
God Bless our President
In a Generation, Minorities May Be the U.S. Majority