Bring Law in Line With Truth

The Unapologetic Mexican pulled out all the stops in a post about Flor Crisostomo, the latest migrant to seek sanctuary in the now infamous Chicago church, the Adalberto United Methodist Church.  I can't survive without my daily, Nez Says, but this post is a must read.  My favorite part is how he ends it:

Law, in and of itself, is not Just. Law, all by itself, is not truth. Current law only represents humans' intentions to manifest a just truth at a certain point in the past. And this same law often needs humans, later, to correct it and bring it in line with truth, and what is just in the present moment.

It's a common theme in the pro-migrant blogosphere, but all the more powerful after Nezua spits fire from his belly in the form of beautiful words.  He devotes much of the post talking about Rev. Walter Coleman, who also was instrumental in providing sanctuary and caring for the child of Elvira Arellano

I videotaped one of his speeches with a low-quality digital camera some time ago, that I think will answer some of the questions about Coleman that Nezua raises in his post.

nezua said:

i greatly appreciate your work and care, amigo.

No problem, Nez. Thanks for stopping by.

Ultima said:

The problem with this line of reasoning is that what is truth and just at the moment has always depended on whose ox is gored. If we allow everyone to decide this for themselves we have anarchy. It is best left to the courts and the representatives of the people as the only rational way to preserve the rule of law, the foundation of all civilized societies.

Ultima said:

I never cease to wonder if any Hispanics or other immigrants who agitate for more liberal immigration policies, amnesty, open borders, chain immigrations, birthright citizenship, etc. ever take the long view and ask themselves objectively what will America look like 50, 100 or 200 years from now based on the policies we espouse? This is a serious question, one which people of many walks of life have studiously avoided addressing. I blame most of all the environmentalists who fail to deal with the fact that Americans produce 20 metric tons of pollutants per capita per year and with another doubling of our population will produce 4-6 billion more tons of these pollutants every year. Even if we were able to achieve a 20% reduction in emissions per capita over the next few years, we would be swimming upstream as our population doubles.

I also wonder about anyone who is an advocate of continued population growth. It is a simple fact that the limit of finite natural resources spread over a population increasing without bounds is zero. The more there are of us, the less of these finite natural resources like arable land, water, petroleum, and other minerals there will be for each of us. Doesn't this lead inevitably to a decline in our standard of living and quality of life? Have immigration advocates given any thought to this matter.

The Pew Foundation says our population will reach 438 million by mid century and that this growth is due entirely to legal immigrants and illegal aliens and their children born in this country during that period between 2005 and 2050. Why does everyone ignore the consequences of this folly? I would welcome any intelligent answer.

The case of the sanctuary women is just a microcosm of this problem. We cannot provide a reasonable solution to one without a broader solution to the other.

Can we continue to grow without bounds without affected adversely all the qualities of our lives in the U.S. that we value? How myopic are we being by avoiding a spirited discussion of this important issue?

Dear Ultima,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful response. Though I'm guessing we probably land on different sides of the fence when it comes to this issue, I can tell that you are approaching this with an open mind and wanting a genuine reasoned response.

I've always said that the only solution is to address the root of mass migration, which is the lack of opportunities in the countries that migrants come from. Instead of spending billions deporting people and beefing up the border, the U.S. should spend that money investing the communities that migrants come from. When opportunity increases, people have less babies. Does that solution satisfy your desire to curb population growth?

I have to be honest with you when I say that generally this overpopulation view is antiquated, and usually a product of anti-migrant propaganda, though. The fact is that the U.S. has much less population density than other countries in this world, and most models show world population curbing off at 9 or 10 billion. While I would like this figure to be less, I don't think putting migrants through the horror they are suffering in the U.S. right now is worth the cost of keeping a few more people out of the U.S. environment.

In truth, I believe it would actually result in further population growth in the countries that these migrants come from if the policies you are advocating are enforced, but I can't prove that.

Laura said:

Thank Kyle for pointing this post out. It's really wonderful. I hate that I haven't had as much time/desire to read yours and Nez's blogs or write my own immigration stuff lately but sometimes you need a little time away I guess. Anyway, I feel very inspired after the last two weeks and now reading this. Thanks!

Laura!

It's so good to have you stop by again. I just saw you got in to Law School! Congratulations! No worries, that's how the blogosphere goes. It ebbs and flows in the way you write it and the way you read it. You know what they say, if you set it free and it comes back to you, it's meant to be. It's good to have you back.