Home for the Holidays

Thought I'd post a couple random personal updates.

I will be traveling back to Guatemala soon so I might not be able to blog as much as I would like.  It'll be the perfect time for me to do some reading, and work on some longer writing projects that I've been hoping to get, too.  The speed and instantaneousness of the blogosphere certainly doesn't allow for the sort of developed thinking and reasoning that is often necessary for personal intellectual progress, as good as it is at documenting history.

Also, I was invited onto the Mario Solis Marich Show yesterday to talk about my Amy Chua post.  There's no way to hear it again, but Mario will be inviting a lot more familiar names from the pro-migrant blogosphere onto his show, soon.  I gave a shout out to Duke because I used his phrase, "the extreme is becoming the mainstream", and Mario also complemented Citizen Orange's design so I gave a shout out to Nezua and Xolagrafik Design, for that.  He also invited me back to talk about the trip where I retraced the route of a Guatemalan migrant into the U.S.

2008 is going to be a big year for the pro-migrant blogosphere.  I hope people stick around for the ride.

All the best, Kyle. Have a good trip.

I am looking forward to some good things happening in the pro-immigration movement--blogosphere and out.

Thanks Glen,

You can trust some good things will be happening. I appreciate all that your doing and your years of support for this cause.

mimi said:

"The speed and instantaneousness of the blogosphere certainly doesn't allow for the sort of developed thinking and reasoning that is often necessary for personal intellectual progress, as good as it is at documenting history."

-- and how, brother, and how.
This is something very worrisome in our information-overload age. As we flit from blue underline to blue underline in the next generation of channel surfing, I hope our global society will be able to retain some attention skills, some thinking skills. (See Bill McKibbon's "Age of Missing Information" for more on that."

So congrats to you on getting yourself unplugged for a bit, enjoy it. Recharge, but will be waiting here in cyberland for your return. It's also important to remember (as you remind us) that as the momentum builds in the pro-migrant online movement we can also find benefits in the instant spiderweb of the online world.

Hate to get all corny, but it all reminds me of the words to an old Girl Scout ditty
"make new friends, but keep the old..."

JDA said:

Kos actually came out and talked about immigration yesterday.

There are alot of views that to me seem very negative. I have been trying to tell them in the blog post that the laws should be changed for the better, not restrictionist.

You can see the post here - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/12/19/31155/848

AAlso, I too am leaving for Guatemala tomorrow morning to spend time with my wife and kids.

JDA

RickB said:

Congrats on the MTV gig too. I think you're right, especially with the presidential campaign, some will continue to use migrants as scapegoats in their demagoguery. You and others work will be vital to stand against them and advance a human(e) truth.

Always appreciate your comments Mimi.

We're on exactly the same wavelength.

Thanks JDA,

That certainly was a good post but it wasn't long before it detoriorated into the same anti-migrant drivel. He almost sounds like Nez in this sentence:

With paleocons seeking to end immigration, with theocons hostile to education and science, and with the neocons more interested in bombing the shit out of brown people countries and antagonizing foreign trading partners rather than investing in the nation's economic infrastructure, there is shrinking space for them on the Right.

You're constant support in this fight RickB has been priceless. If the fear is ever lifted from migrants I will be right there with you in the fight against empire.

So glad you hear you're our Choose or Lose reporter in Massachusetts! Felicidades!

Thanks Mitali! I really appreciate it.

James said:

Mario Solis-Marich is a racist do not get stained by being on that haters show. listen to his 28 Dec.show and hear what I mean.

You're going to have to substantiate a heavy charge like that with much more evidence than just "listen to his 28 Dec. show". If you don't you are being recklessly irresponsible with your words by tainting someone's name like that.